Palestinian Solidarity Rally Planned In Worcester
Free Palestine Worcestershire have offered local people an opportunity to show their solidarity with the Palestinian people at a demonstration on the 29th of May.
In the wake of recent events in the region, those sympathetic to the Palestinian cause have held events around the world to show its support for Palestinians and their struggle. Over 100,000 people marched for a Free Palestine in London over the weekend with other events also being held in various cities around the UK. As a result, Free Palestine Worcestershire have offered our community the same opportunity and are asking people to bring flags, signs and posters to the Worcester Guildhall at 12:00PM on May 29th.
These protests have been sparked after weeks of of air bombardments and indiscriminate military attacks on the Palestinian people by the Israeli government. Whilst there is a long history behind these recent events, the main factor behind Israel’s bombardment campaign stems from the Israeli police’s heavy-handed treatment of Palestinians in Jerusalem during Ramadan. Key to the recent events is also the eviction of multiple Palestinian families from the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood to make way for Israeli settlers.
Britain’s role in all of this is significant as it has continued to support Israel despite its illegal occupation of Palestine. Between 2016 and 2020, the UK issued Single Individual Export Licenses (SIELs) for arms sales to Israel to a value of £387 million, and also continue to sell key components for US-made F-35 stealth fighters which are then sold on to Israel.
Despite a temporary ceasefire now being agreed, it is essential that we continue to show solidarity with Palestine as the Israeli government continue their illegal occupation.
Worcestershire Transformed contacted Free Palestine Worcestershire to ask why it was so important people came out to support Palestinians. They told us:
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you chosen the side of the oppressor.”
If you want to know more about what is going on in Palestine, and a plotted history of the Palestinian struggle, see the below links:
- Total Solidarity With Palestine is the Only Anti-Racist Position [Article]
- The Tide Is Turning Against Israeli Apartheid [Article]
- The Violence in Palestine Isn’t ‘Clashes’ – It’s Colonialism [Article]
- Stand strong in solidarity for a free Palestine [Article]
- Trade Unions stand in solidarity with historic general strike in Palestine [Article]
- A World To Win (Free Palestine) [Podcast]
- How Britain Supports Israel’s War on Palestine [Video]
- Death Toll Reaches 200 In Israel’s War On Gaza [Video]
As well as protesting there are other important ways you can help support Palestinians:
- Donate to Medical Aid for Palestine (MAP)
- Donate to the Palestine Children’s Relief Fund
- Write to your MP through the Friends of Al-Aqsa
Don’t forget you can support our work by pledging a monthly donation to our Patreon or by making a one-off donation. You can find details here.